Atletico Madrid – Real Madrid Preview: Los Blancos aim to get title bid back on track as they travel across the capital
Diego Simeone conducted a training session on Monday afternoon in which all but two players managed to take part in. Antonio Lopez and Silvio Pereira are still missing and are working away from the group as part of their rehabilitation from injury.
Colombian striker Radamel Falcao was rested for the match against Levante at the weekend so it is likely he will be reinstated to the starting line-up for the derby.
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho will welcome back the services of Spain international defender Sergio Ramos, who returns from suspension for the match at Vicente Calderon and will likely return to the starting XI in place of Raul Albiol. Ricardo Carvalho is still injured and will miss the match.
The Portuguese tactician has warmed to the idea of starting Gonzalo Higuain, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Karim Benzema recently so it is likely all the will begin the game, with Kaka once again settling for a place on the bench.
- Radamel Falcao is the third top goalscorer in the league this season. The Colombian has scored 20 goals in La Liga with only Ronaldo and Lionel Messi ahead of him in the standings.
- It has been over a decade since Atletico Madrid recorded a victory over their city rivals.
- Sunday’s draw against Valencia was only the third time this season that Real Madrid have dropped points at home in La Liga.
- Real Madrid have scored exactly 100 goals this season in the league so far.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is just one goal away from taking his tally for the season to 50 goals.